Soča Valley received the Slovenia Green Destination Gold label in 2020, proving that our tourism is being developed in accordance with principles of sustainability. At the same time, the label demonstrates our green commitment to improvement and responsible behaviour for the benefit of future generations.
Read about the sustainable achievements of the Soča Valley in the last three years in the Sustainability Report.
Be a part of the green story of the Soča Valley
Slow down your pace and experience the Soča Valley from up close. Visit it as guests and make sure that everyone feels pleasant.
- Leave your vehicles at designated parking places.
- Use tourist buses to travel along the valley.
- Take a ride along the 100-year-old Bohinjrailway: by train, car-train or museum train.
- Discover the hidden corners on foot, by bicycle or kayak.
- Travel outside the high season and stay longer.
- Walk along marked trails wearing appropriate footwear and clothing.
- Make no noise – the nature will be grateful.
- Stay at designated accommodations, which you have to book in advance during the high season.
- Respect the regimes in force (by the river, on the river and in the air).
Consider the future.
- Drink water from the tap and natural springs.
- Use a refillable water bottle.
- Separate the waste and take the waste with you.
- Stay at Slovenia Green accommodations.
Respect the local.
- Visit traditional events.
- Buy high quality Soča Valley Finest products and services.
- Book your accommodation and experiences on booking.soca-valley.com.
- Choose guided tours with local tourist guides.
Trenta, Triglav National Park, ©Jošt Gantar
A considerable part of the destination lies within the Triglav national Park (the only national park in Slovenia) and Natura 2000 (European network of special protected areas). The entire destination lies within the Julian Alps biosphere area, which has been a part of the internationally important biosphere reserves for more than twenty years as per the Human and Biosphere Program of UNESCO.
All of this is a testimony of great biodiversity and a rich natural and historical heritage. Because tourism is one of the most important economic sectors in the Soča Valley, sustainable development should not be a question allowing choice, but a requirement dictated by demand and increasingly limited natural resources.
Green Scheme of Slovenian tourism
The Green Scheme of Slovenian Tourism is a tool developed at the national level and a certification programme that carries out tasks under the SLOVENIA GREEN umbrella brand.
Read more about Green Scheme of Slovenian tourism >
Soča Valley Tourism has been awarded the GREEN&SAFE label, which denotes high hygienic travel standards and protocols in tourism. By acting responsibly and sustainably, we are increasing guest confidence that we are a green and safe tourist destination.
Find out more about responsible, green and safe tourism >
Triglav National Park, a part of which lies in the Soča Valley, received the Slovenia Green Park label already in 2017.
There are already nine tourist accommodation providers in the Soča Valley holding the Slovenia Green Accommodation label: