The Triglav National Park
The only national park in Slovenia and a veritable paradise for fans of pristine nature. The Triglav National Park boasts a number of natural sights, including Slovenia's highest mountain Triglav (2864 m).
It covers the area of the Eastern Julian Alps (84,000 hectares). The highest point of the park is the peak of Mt. Triglav (2864 m), which also gave the park its name, whilst its lowest point lies in
Tolmin Gorges (180 m).
Situated along the Soča river in the Bovec area, the Soča Trail leads into the heart of the Triglav National Park (TNP). Trenta Lodge, the main information centre of the park in the Soča Valley, offers visitors its museum collection, thematic and artistic exhibitions and various social events.
The main natural and cultural sights in the TNP:
- the Soča river, the source of the Soča and the Velika korita gorge,
- the Alpinum Juliana botanical garden,
- the Trenta Museum,
- the Krnska jezera lakes,
- Kriški podi,
- the Kluže fort,
- Mangartsko sedlo
- Javorca, memorial Church of the Holy Spirit,
- Tolmin Gorges
- Mountain pastures.
Information on the Triglav National Park (TNP)
- size: 880 km²;
- landscape: the young jagged peaks of the Eastern Julian Alps, forests (predominantly beech, spruce and larch), plenty of groundwater, karst water sources, rivers, streams and picturesque glacial lakes;
- plant life: endemic species of mountain flowers such as the Triglav hawksbeard (Crepis Terglouensis), the Julian poppy (Papaver julicum), a species of aconite (Aconitum angustifolium) and Zois' bellflower (Campanula zoysii);
- animal life: birds (golden eagle, griffon vulture, wood grouse, black grouse and hazel grouse), brown bear, lynx, chamois, Alpine ibex, Alpine marmot, roe deer, deer, mountain hare, beech marten, fox, badger, etc.
Rules of conduct in the Triglav National Park
- Respect the customs and traditions of the people who live in the park.
- Do not make any noise so as not to disturb the wildlife.
- Admire the plants, but do not pick them.
- Do not leave any waste in the park, but take it with you
- Dogs should be kept on a leash
- Park trails are intended for hikers, and cycling along the trails is not permitted.
- Follow the signs on information posts along the trails.
- Leave vehicles in designated places.
Information about the Triglav National Park
Triglav National Park
Ljubljanska cesta 27
t: +386 4 578 02 00
TNP Info Centre - Trenta Lodge
Na Logu v Trenti
t: +386 5 388 93 30
TIC Kobarid - Info point TNP
Trg svobode 16
t: +386 5 380 04 90