The Soča and its tributaries are a paradise for fly fishing, the only permitted method of fishing in the Soča Valley. The famous marble trout, grayling and rainbow trout are the fly fishers' favourites.
Enjoy the nature, the hum of the rivers and the crystal clear water. The depths of river pools in the Soča Valley will enthuse you with their tranquillity, liveliness and colourful underwater world. The emerald green pools of the River Soča, the daydreaming grey-green corners of the River Nadiža, the alpine character of the pure Tolminka River, the elitism of the mysterious Trebuščica River and the sense-awakening Idrijca River.
Fishing Districts and Fishing Areas in the Soča Valley
The Soča Valley has two fishing districts, controlled by Zavod za ribištvo Slovenije (Fisheries Research Institute of Slovenia) and Ribiška družina Tolmin (Angling Club of Tolmin). Fishing is not allowed in rivers and waters that are outside these districts.
An interesting and diverse character of the rivers enables fishermen to find at least one river in the Soča Valley, where fishing is possible even in bad weather.
Fishing district 1: Catch and take
- The River Soča:
- from confluence of the Lepenjica and Soča River to Kršovec;
- from the bridge near Čezsoča village to the bridge at Kamno;
- from the bridge at Volarje to the confluence with the Tolminka;
- lake Most na Soči,
- from the dam at Podselo to the Vogršček brook.
- The river Bela: from the village of Breginj to the confluence with the river Nadiža.
- The river Nadiža: within territory of the Republic of Slovenia.
- The river Idrijca: from the bridge in the village of Stopnik to the bridge in the village of Idrija pri Bači.
- The upper Bača: from the village of Podbrdo to the dam in the village Klavže.
- The river Koritnica: from the confluence of the Huda and the Žventarska Grapa to the confluence with the river Bača.
- The river Kneža: from the source till the confluence with the river Bača.
Fishing district "Catch & Release" (No kill)
- The river Soča:
- from the bridge Brvce to the confluence of Soča and Lepenjica river,
- from Kršovec to the bridge near Čezsoča village,
- from the bridge at Kamno to the bridge at Volarje.
- The Lepenjica stream,
- The river Koritnica: from the bridge near Kluže to the confluence of Koritnica and Soča River.
- The river Idrijca: from the bridge at Idrija pri Bači to the confluence with Bača
- The lower Bača: from the dam in the village Klavže to the confluence with the river Idrijca
- The river Tolminka: from the source till the confluence with the Soča (with the exclusion of the Tolmins gorges)
- The river Trebuščica: from the village of Gorenja Trebuša to the confluence with the river Idrijca.
Common Fish and Fishing in the Soča Valley
Soška postrv (Soča Trout) – Salmo trutta marmoratus is one of the most famous fish of the Soča Valley. It is endemic to the Adriatic river basin and primarily inhabits the Zadlaščica reserve. Check, which fish you may catch and take in the fishing areas of the Catch and take district. It is not allowed to keep fish from the Catch and release district.
|FISH||DESCRIPTION AND SIZE||LOCATION||OPEN SEASON|| |
Marble (Soča) trout
|Endemic in the Adriatic river basin, this fish can grow to 140 cm and weighs up to 24 kg.||All waters.||1.4.–30.9.||60|
|An indigenous salmonid, this fish can grow to 60 cm and weighs up to 2 kg.||The Soča (downstream from Mala korita), the Koritnica (downstream from Kluže), mouth of the Učja.||16.5.–31.10.||45|
|Brown trout |
(Salmo trutta fario)
|This non-indigenous trout breeds successfully with the marble trout; it can grow to 70 cm and weighs up to 6 kg.||Lives in all waters apart from five locations with pure marble trout.||1.4.–31.10.||26|
|Marble trout and brown trout hybrids||The appearance of these fish varies; they can grow to 1 m and weigh up to 10 kg.||Locations with the marble trout and brown trout.||1.4.–31.10.||26|
|Rainbow trout |
|This fish was released into rivers from fish farms; it can grow to 80 cm and weighs up to 8 kg.||The Soča (downstream from Mala korita), the Koritnica (downstream from Kluže), mouth of the Učja.||1.4.–31.10.||24|