Now an important monument of the Isonzo Font and a part of the Walk of Peace from the Alps to the Adriatic with views over the Bovec basin.
On the slope of the prominent hill Svinjak, which gives Bovška kotlina its signature image, the Austro-Hungarian army built a 200 m long trench with two positions for artillery, a kitchen, two residences, a watch tower, a shelter and embrasures in 1914. The fort which is now arranged as an outdoor museum played an important role right before the last, the 12th battle of the Isonzo Front, when horrific artillery fire from Čelo was hitting the Italian positions between Bovec and Čezsoča.
The museum is open all year round and there is no entrance fee.
Čelo Outdoor Museum - ACCESS
On the Bovec-Trenta road, park in the village of Kal-Koritnica some 3 km out of Bovec. Continue on foot along the mountain trail to Svinjak. After a 25 minutes' walk, turn left and follow the Walk of Peace markings. There is another 5 minutes' walk to the museum.