The Kanin mountains
The Kanin mountains are a great location for discovering mountainous karst features and an excellent starting point for hikes to the surrounding mountain peaks.
Things to do on Kanin in the summer:
- enjoy outstanding panoramas overlooking the Alps and the Adriatic Sea - the Golf of Triest,
- visit Prestreljeniško okno and the natural bridge on Kanin,
- discover the diverse mountainous karst features and visit the Peter Skalar Lodge (2.206 m),
- go on a mountain hike (difficult) with a mountain guide to Visoki Kanin (2.587 m),
- mountain trips to Prestreljenik (2,499 m), Laška planja (2,448 m), Rombon (2,208 m),
- climbing routes: Kanin mountains (information in Slovene language)
- walk the educational natural-historical trail from Prestreljeniški podi to Kanin,
- caving: Skalarjevo brezno, Čehi 2, Černelsko brezno (very difficult, suitable only for experienced cavers familiar with the local features).
Mountainous karst features on Kanin:
- 220 million years of geological history,
- limestone pavements, grooves, pits, clints and caves,
- some of the deepest caves in the world,
- screes, natural window, natural bridge.
The Kanin-Sella Nevea ski resort, open in the winter, offers magnificent views of the Trieste Bay.