To remind us of the fallen soldiers at the Isonzo Front and what war means both for the individual and for humankind, there are six military cemeteries in the Soča Valley.
More than 300,000 soldiers of different nationalities were killed during the two years of fierce battles on the Isonzo Front (1915–1917). Life at the front was difficult, often also fatal. The 11th battle at the Isonzo Front alone took about 50,000 lives. It was the bloodiest battle on Slovenian ground. The remains of the soldiers lie in several military cemeteries in the Soča Valley.
Military Cemeteries in the Soča Valley
- military cemetery in Trenta,
- military cemetery in Soča,
- military cemetery in Log pod Mangartom,
- military cemetery near Bovec,
- Italian ossuary above Kobarid,
- German ossuary near Tolmin.
Military Cemeteries in the Soča Valley – INFORMATION AND GUIDANCE
Ustanova “Fundacija poti miru v Posočju”
t: +386 (0)5 389 01 67
m: +386 (0)31 586 296